Hmm.  I wonder how many folks who own a cnc router would let somebody else
do something like this?  My bro-in-law has a laser engraver, but to get a
paintable depth would take a lot longer than the 20 seconds per but its
taking me.

So the suggestion is that a v bit is not going to curl the edges the same
as an end mill?

I found the vector offset tool and figured out how to do what I am after,
will give that a try.