On Mon, Apr 22, 2013, at 10:53 PM, Chris Morley wrote:

> > From: viesturs.la...@gmail.com
> > Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 22:26:11 +0300
> > To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> > Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Two hal+gladevcp questions

> > > see
> > > http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gui/gladevcp.html#_widget_and_hal_pin_naming
> >

> > Yes, there is this sentence:
> > "HAL_HScale and HAL_VScale are derived from the GtkHScale and GtkVScale
> > respectively. They have one output FLOAT pin with name equal to widget
> > name. Scales have no additional properties."
> >
> > So I have named the scale widget to be "sample" and in HAL file the pin
> > name is gladevcp.sample, but terminal output complains that pin does not
> > exist.
> >
> >  have a look how the pins are actually named by running
> > >
> > > $ halshow.tcl
> > >

> > Thanks! Sorry, I am pretty dumb with terminal. Now it tells that command
> > not found. Which directory should I cd, before running this command? I
> > tried /usr/lib/tcltk/linuxcnc/bin as I found such a file there, but I still
> > receive the same error. Is there some additional syntax required?
> >

> > --
> > Viesturs
> >
> This is what Gscreen uses to load halshow (note it loads the path from a
> preset variable):
> p = os.popen("tclsh %s/bin/halshow.tcl -- -ini %s &" % (TCLPATH,self.inipath))
> So I would think you need to put tclsh before the path to halshow.
> Not sure what happens without the INI path..
>
> halmeter will show pin names.
>
> Chris M

"halcmd show" will show pin names as well.  You can also
use halcmd in interactive mode;  type "halcmd -f" at the
shell prompt, and halcmd will display a "halcmd: " prompt.
You can then use commands like "show pin", complete
with wildcards, tab completion, and all the goodies.

For example: "show pin gla*" will show all pins whose
names start with glade.  Anything you can type in a hal
file you can type at the halcmd prompt.

Type "quit" at the halcmd prompt when you are done,
and you will wind up back at the shell prompt.

John Kasunich