The Beagle Bones are so cheap, that we shouldn't be worrying about how
many pins we can drive. Just connect a few together using etherCAT or
real time ethernet, or whatever the thing supported by the hardware is
called.

As far as I'm concerned, the problem of no parallel port has been solved
with these devices and an ethernet. Sure we need a driver, but that
isn't rocket science.

We do have some significant open questions for the next few decades though.

-- How will are functionality be divided among hardware units?
-- How many (and what) platforms will we support?
-- How can we distribute HAL (and should we) among multiple components?

We KNOW we will lose the parallel port. We know that PCs will become
less deterministic when it comes to real-time operation. (Modern office
machines MUST play games with their clock speed to use power efficiently.)

-- Does our future architecture include a PC?

Ken