I just uncovered that motor on my 7x12 and found three things.
1. Its a 400 watt motor & looks to be well built.  Thats a bit bigger than
I've been told, and tells me I could up the fuse to 4 amps if I was a mind
to.

2. The default rotation is CCW, the belt drive up to the back gear
box/spindle reverses the rotation.  Should have been obvious, but Duh...

3. From the rear, no visible means of mounting seems to be visible.  So I
have to assume its mounting bolts must be under the existing speed control,
accessible once it has been loosened and laid aside.

So this new motor will have to be run backwards, or a gear coupled
countershaft made up.  Since my present Z motor mount is almost directly
inline with the spindle motor due to its 2/1 geardown using old change
gears, most anything I build will have to be done inside the space the old
motor now occupies.  With the countershaft and gear coupling, I have the
ability to expand the geardown by quite a bit as the expense of the spur
gear noise (obnoxious when the stepper resonates) by re-using the metal
change gears I have left over from the CNC'ing.  Other than time to make it
and some decent bearings for it to spin in, NBD.

Some brushed motors I have noted have the brush holders at small angles
that aren't conducive to good brush life when running backwards, and which
may also effect the motors torque when in reverse.  The OEM 400 watters
brushes are dead on center.

So, what is the general consensus about running one of these smaller
treadmill motors backwards? (in the event I can actually make it fit where
the old 400 watter was living)

Would a day or so's running at no load & medium speed re-seat the brushes
and improve the brush life in that event?

Cheers, Gene
My views
"I went to the museum where they had all the heads and arms from the
statues that are in all the other museums."
                -- Steven Wright
         law-abiding citizens.