When I asked about this before, I had hoped someone would have seen one
of these before. Since that didn't happen, I opened it up and took some
pictures.

This is a Bridgeport mill with a 2-axis CNC controller and a 3-axis DRO,
owned by a member of Milwaukeemakerspace.org

The front panel looks like this:
http://www.panix.com/~rbean/temp/bridgeport/front-panel.JPG
All program entry is through this control panel. There's no obvious way
to connect it to a computer.

Label on the back panel:
http://www.panix.com/~rbean/temp/bridgeport/back-panel.JPG
The connectors labeled X, Y, and Z are for the DRO.
[Note the connector for the cassette-tape interface, which we don't
have]

Label on the power supply:
http://www.panix.com/~rbean/temp/bridgeport/power-supply.JPG
Note the date: 9/89 (~25 years old)
The servos and encoders plug into this box, and there's a cable from
here to the control box.

In addition to the power supply, this box contains two boards labeled
"X" and "Y", I assume these are servo amps:
http://www.panix.com/~rbean/temp/bridgeport/servo-board1.JPG
The big thing in the middle is a heat sink, with power transistors on
both sides of it. The data connection is on the other side, through a
hole in the plate it's mounted to.

Visible chips include:
TSC426CPA dual power mosfet driver
TSC427CPA dual power mosfet driver
HP 2601 line receiver optocoupler
HP 2531 optocoupler

Another view of the board:
http://www.panix.com/~rbean/temp/bridgeport/servo-board2.JPG

Here are two views of the servo encoders:
http://www.panix.com/~rbean/temp/bridgeport/encoder1.JPG
The chip is a DS8830N dual differential line driver
http://www.panix.com/~rbean/temp/bridgeport/encoder2.JPG
The chip is a HEDS9000 optical incremental encoder

Here's the label on one of the servos:
http://www.panix.com/~rbean/temp/bridgeport/label1.JPG
http://www.panix.com/~rbean/temp/bridgeport/label2.JPG
Unfortunately it's very hard to read, and it appears that the vital info
was not filled in. Here's what I think it says:

DC MOTOR
60        V         A        RPM
DUTY
CUST P/N 14969 REV D
I G P/N  4020D-143
S N 4320
ASSEMBLED IN MEXICO
BY INDIANA GENERAL
HPL 730-352

Finally, here are the two logic boards inside the control box:
http://www.panix.com/~rbean/temp/bridgeport/logic-board1.JPG
http://www.panix.com/~rbean/temp/bridgeport/logic-board2.JPG

(I just realised these pics are upside down :-)
Each board has a MC6809 CPU and a whole bunch of 74LS-series logic
chips. I think the chips in the yellow packages are resistor networks.
Also visible on the 2nd board are:
Intersil ICL232CPE dual line driver/receiver
MC6850P UART
MC1411P (7 darlington drivers)
And some other stuff I couldn't identify.

The owner says the machine is usable, but one axis stops working
occasionally (I don't know which one). He'd like to get it working
reliably with a way to input programs from a computer, and add a Z axis
servo.

Questions:
Are these servos likely to be usable?

Are the servo amps likely to be usable, and if so, what kind of input
might they be expecting?

[Do servo amps want step and direction inputs, or something else?]

Do servo systems like this use a combination of data from the DRO and
the servo encoders, or is the DRO separate?

If you wanted to modernize this machine and add a 3rd axis, how would
you go about it?

We've gotten some interesting but questionable suggestions from members
who were born around the time this machine was made...

Some people assume it must use Gcode internally, and there must be a way
to load Gcode into it from a computer. I think both are unlikely,
although I suppose it's possible. The connector between the power box
and the control box "looks like" a serial port, but I doubt it. The idea
of somehow loading data through the cassette tape interface seems
unlikely to be worthwhile, despite one member's insistance that it would
be a reasonable thing to do. In any case, that wouldn't get us a 3rd
axis, nor would it explain why one axis occasionally stops working.

Several people have suggested replacing the servos with big steppers, on
the theory that stepper drivers will be cheaper than servo drivers. I
don't know if that's a reasonable thing to do or not.

One member works for a company that's about to throw away a somewhat
newer conversion kit (perhaps only 15 years old instead of 25), and he's
asked them to consider donating it to us instead. That's working it's
way through their bureaucracy, I'll believe it when I see it.

Any other suggestions or comments?