1. Does this machine have Trak sensors? These are devices that ride
along the table (X) and saddle area (Y) and have cables that attach to
the system. These are electronic Trav-a-dials.

2. These systems were very popular back in that time (late 80's early
90's). The motors are brushed DC servos. The amplifiers probably take
an analog control voltage proportional to the desired axis velocity.
This could be +/-10V, +/-5V, or a single 0-5V or 0-10V signal combined
with a direction bit.

3. There's two ways to go I think:

  A. See if you can get the old motors and amps to work. If so, and you
  are inclined towards a "science project", use one of the systems Andy
  described in his reply.

  B. My best advise would be to see if you can adapt a standard NEMA 34
  (or 42) stepper motor to the mounting scheme on your machine. If so,
  build a new system and eBay the old one. I recommend this course of
  action due to my concern that eventually brush wear will kill the
  existing motors, and you'll be back in this same position too soon.

4. To do the Z axis, you need a quill drive mechanism. Jon Elson has (I
think) pictures of his that he made from scratch on his web site. If
money is no object (!), Elrod Machine has a kit:

http://www.elrodmachine.com/Z%20Axis%20CNC%20Quill%20kit.htm

Or you can CNC the knee, but this is tougher due to the power required.

Thanks,
Matt