On 29 May 2013 18:49, Leonardo Marsaglia <leonardomarsagli...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Anyway I don't see too much room for a linear motor since the machine now
> has a piston, I don't know if there is in existance a linear servo motor
> with the shape of a piston, all circular or something like that, they must
> exist anyway.

There are voice-coil servos, but I doubt they have enough force.

I would actually be tempted to try a servo motor and crank on top of a
conventional X-axis.
In a rare move away from CNC, the crank throw would probably need to
be manually adjusted to suit the total cam lift.

For a simple eccentric this would only need to rotate at constant
speed in exact phase with the spindle.
As your cam profile deviates from the simple eccentric, then the
relationship between the angular position of the two motors needs to
be modified.

Here is a HAL component that could apply this modification:
http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man9/lincurve.9.html

It isn't ideal as it stands, it would need to be able to read cam
profiles in from a data file.

I think that mechanically this is a lot less challenging for the servo
and controllers, the motor never changes direction, it just slows down
and speeds up relative to the spindle.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.