I make the master cams (lobes) with one of my machines since it's built for
the purpose too. Then I use the same masters on the other machines. The
pivot lenght is practically the same, I think the worst case is 1 or 2 mm
of difference between machines. Also, I use the same range in diameter for
the grinding wheels in all machines, so there is no difference between the
original camshaft, and the ones that we build.

If I want to digitally capture the function of the cam (lobe) I would
preffer to make a little device for that purpose. One thing to study there
is the way the follower in that device changes it's tangential point with
the cam (lobe). This I think the most complex part in capturing the
function, but with that resolved, you can capture almost any lobe.

I suppose that the component to make the change in position based on
acceleration would have to use certain control points and between those
points fill the curve with a smooth path, so it would be a spline. That's
were I don't know how to start, because it's a little advanced for me, but
really interesting. Doable I think, since Linuxcnc proved to handle very
well things that seem more complicated.

Leonardo.

*Leonardo Marsaglia*.