On 6/9/2013 9:08 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Looking at its voltage output, with the motor disabled so there is no
>> feedback,off         = 0.125 volts
>> click fwd button= 0.382      diff    = 0.257
>> click + button       = 0.942 diff    = 0.560
>> click + again        = 1.584 diff    = 0.642
>> click + again        = 2.302 diff    = 0.718
>> click + again        = 3.094 diff    = 0.792
>> click + again        = 3.970 diff    = 0.876
>> click + again        = 4.940 diff    = 0.970
>> click + again        = 6.04  diff    = 1.100
>> click + again        = 7.33  diff    = 1.29
>> click + again        = 8.88  diff    = 1.55
>> click + again        = 9.90  diff    = 1.02
> URK!  It isn't even monotonic!  That is harder to fix with a
> piecewise-linear
> interpolation.  (Some simplistic codes won't handle that.)

Ummm, I expect you mean the differences aren't monotonic, Jon.

Actually, plotting Gene's data as a set of twelve points X, V where X is
the number of clicks, I get a pretty decent graph --- looks like a
parabolic curve opening upward, with a bit of a burble in the next to
last point (or last two depending on how you look at data).

Trying a second-order curve fit (using the free tool simfit, but there's
lots of other tools) got me a decent looking result with a plot of
residuals that also gives the impression that the last two points are
questionable compared to the rest.

I don't chose simply to post the results because I don't believe any
single experimental run is sufficient. Repeat this experiment three or
more times, Gene, so we can begin to get an idea of the quality of the
data and then we can talk.

Regards,
Kent