On 06/12/2013 04:43 PM, andy pugh wrote:
... snip
> So, I have concluded that what I need is a conventional lathe, with a
> large spindle bore, a set of rests, and that will fit in a small
> space. In fact what I need is probably a Harrison M250, or better
> still the M280 CNC trainer version.
... snip

> I don't have any of the changewheel or screwcutting gearbox parts
> (other than the quadrant). Finding the parts seems unlikely, certainly
> at a sensible cost.

Making the gears and other bits should not take a lot of magic. It
becomes a machining project instead of a software/electronics project.

> What would make a lot of sense would be to replace the original
> changewheel arrangement with an electronic leadscrew drive. (this
> could easily be a second motor inside the cabinet, and a toothed belt
> drive, and would be effectively invisible. This could be nothing more
> than an Arduino with an LCD display. Add three gear-tooth sensors
> inside the backgear cover, and the machine suddenly becomes quite
> useful. (Though I am also short of a threading indicator)

The ELS controllers I found:
http://www.autoartisans.com/ELS/
http://www.cnccookbook.com/MTLatheElecLeadMockDocs.htm

don't need a threading indicator, as far as I can tell.
--
Kirk
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/index.html