On 06/12/2013 03:33 PM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 12 June 2013 18:28, Roland Jollivet <roland.jolli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If it's a piece of iron to you, then hack away. If you see value in it's
>> authenticity, then why not fix it up and re-sell it, and put the money
>> towards a more 'appropriate' machine. (presumably more recent)
>
> Fixing it up will require at least some form of power-shaft and
> leadscrew drive. Whilst I do have the technology to make up a set of
> backgears, I doubt that anyone would want it even then.
>
> To be honest I like the "Steampunk" ethos of a quarter-sawn oak CNC lathe :-)

If I may, my vote would be to restore the Rivett back to the original
condition. It seems to me to be the shortest path to having something of
value. If you need a CNC lathe, sell the Rivett, and buy an HNC or CHNC
which would be a much better CNC project, but I'm biased.

I have these on my someday list:
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Std_Engr_Works/ (1916-18?)
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Craftsman_AA_109/ (1950's?)
http://www.wallacecompany.com/old_lathe/ (1950's?)

The Oak stand is way cool:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/rivett/img13.gif

The oak stand reminds me of when I was a young machinist and Gerstner
tools boxes where a prized possession.
http://www.gerstnerusa.com/index.html

... and when I was at the UC Santa Barbara Physics machine shop. It had,
if I recall correctly, thick, end grain pine floors, which were very
nice to work on.

--
Kirk
www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop