On 7/10/2013 1:28 PM, Eric Keller wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 11:38 PM, Charles Steinkuehler
> <char...@steinkuehler.net> wrote:
>
>> The ultimate goal of all this is to make a delta-arm 3D printer and
>> use kinematics in LinuxCNC for the tricky math bits that are hard to
>> do on the AVR micro-controllers most 3D printers use for control.
>
> Now that I know more about delta robots, I was curious if anyone had
> seen code for the kinematics for a linear delta robot?  I have
> articles about it, but would rather not code it up from scratch if I
> don't have to do that.  There is a topic on the Lcnc forum about this,
> but the question remains unanswered.

Code is here:
https://github.com/jcrocholl/Marlin

...and from what I can tell (I'm not real familiar with the Marlin
codebase) the actual kinematics are in this file:
https://github.com/jcrocholl/Marlin/blob/deltabot/Marlin/motion_control.cpp

Note that one linear gcode move is converted into lots of little tiny
steps, which are then converted to joint positions.  I'm not sure how
applicable the code would be for LinuxCNC.

For LinuxCNC, I would start with the tripod kinematics module.  A delta
bot is very similar math, you're just moving the end of the joint in a
delta bot vs. changing the joint length in the existing tripod kins.

> I blame Charles for my new-found obsession with delta robots.

Hey...I brought a plain old Cartesian printer to Wichita!  It's not my
fault you go wandering around the internet clicking on YouTube videos!

:)

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net