Mark Wendt wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Shannon Watson <swat...@mpm1.com> wrote:
>
>> I can just reply and it knows what i am replying to? On a forum I know
>> what i am replying to.

I will not wind up the 'top post' flamewars, but any decent email client will
thread replies properly ...

> You replied to Dave's reply.  You didn't know what you were replying to?
>
> There's a subject header on an email, just like a subject or topic title on
> a forum.
>
> A mailing list is likely to get faster replies to a forum, since many folks
> have an email client up and running when they are online.
>
> On a forum, I need to be in that forum and in that topic to read what's
> going on.  If someone posts a new topic in a forum, the only way I'll know
> it's there is if I visit that forum and see that topic.  On an email list,
> if someone posts a question, it's available the next time my email client
> pops my mail server and delivers it into my inbox.  Less work for me when I
> don't necessarily have time to go searching through forums to see if there
> are any new threads.  I usually only visit a forum once a day, and only
> give it a once through.  Emails are constantly showing up in my inbox all
> day long.

I get emails from the CNCForum, but have given up bothering to go on-line there
at all. I have all of a number of cnc list history locally and can search at
leisure and reply promptly when something of interest pops up.

To my mind, 'the cloud' should be about our all being able to LOCALLY monitor
and interact with other people without having to keep going to 'centrally
managed' websites ... email is part of that model.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL