On 7/11/2013 9:00 AM, John Kasunich wrote:
> We've had this discussion before.  Different people prefer to get their
> information in different ways.  That is why we have both email lists
> and a forum.
>
> This topic is a lot like religion or politics - you can have a lot of talk,
> but in the end, everybody is likely to stick with what they preferred
> in the first place.
>
> Any proposal to eliminate the mail list _or_ the forum isn't going to
> get very far, because both forms of communication have very strong
> advocates who have very good reasons for their preferences.

True.

But I've noticed that the subject always seems to be brought up by the
new people who prefer the forum format and are unhappy that all of the
action is on the mailing lists.

It would be neat if we could have a forum topic called emc-users and one
called emc-developers set up so that if you post to the forum it would
be sent to the list and if you posted to the list it would appear on the
forum.

That would permit the forum users to go to only a single place to see
the real action.

(I suspect that the complaint would then be that the emc-users topic
contains too much disparate stuff and should be broken into multiple
topics.)

As far as I recall, most of the people at Wichita were familiar names
from the list. So I'm happy sticking with just the list, and confident
that I'm not missing much by avoiding the fora.

Ken