On 10.07.13 14:59, Bruce Layne wrote:
> Forums require users to visit them and participate.  An email list
> arrives in my inbox.  That's both an advantage and a disadvantage. It
> keeps the topics in front of me on a daily basis and keeps me involved
> but it does clutter my inbox.

The chaos of a single incoming mailbox sounds unbearably stressful. Some
mail clients can sort incoming mail into various mailboxes, but in line
with the ancient unix way of doing things, i.e. one tool for one job, I
have fetchmail running in daemon mode to handle the SMTP work of
bringing the mail from my ISP, and procmail to perform screening and
sorting according to a bunch of rules which are tweakable at will, using
one's favourite text editor. So all that mutt has to do is provide an
elegant GUI-free interface for reading mail, and facilitating manual
sorting into the 1106 mailboxes for messages worth archiving, 392 of
them on LinuxCNC. It presents the incoming mailboxes in my preferred
order, so it is lower priority stuff which ends up waiting.

Whatever you prefer, it is well worthwhile bringing some order to your
world.

I'm just back from a week on the farm, and know immediately that 647
mails await my attention, all neatly sorted into prioritised mailboxes,
according to their origin, 101 of them on LinuxCNC. Over the next few
days I'll go through the backlog. If we briefly ignore the fact that I
do not patronise any fora, regardless of topic, I seriously doubt that I
would ever bother actively searching out missed traffic on some damn
thing that needs to be logged in to. (And a dozen of them, one for each
list? It is hard to imagine anyone going to that much bother.)

Erik

--
The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used  to
be.                                                     - Paul Valery