I'm looking forward to using the new image, and being able to get a monitor
and keyboard on the BBB.  But I want to get a few prints from the printer
before making that change, so that wont happen for a few days.

I was having difficulty determining the PID settings for my extruder
heater, mostly getting a lot of overshoot during the initial heating.  So I
wrote a hal component in Python based on the auto tune functionality in the
Marlin firmware.  It did a pretty good job for me.  I can send it to anyone
who is interested.  It's my first attempt at PID tuning, so I don't know
how good it is.

Also, a question regarding the pid component.  It looks to me from the
documentation and experimentation that the maxerror parameters apply to the
error before the gain is applied.  Is this correct?

I'll probably take a stab at implementing M109 and M190, unless someone
else has done so already.