Axis does run on the BBB (I use it all the time).  Unless you're running a
board that conflicts with HDMI, I would recommend directly connecting a
monitor. I haven't used vnc on the BBB,  but my hunch is that it is
rendering in such a way that the tight VNC version of an X display doesn't
like.  I have run axis with a remote X server, but I also had a case where
it didn't like one of my older linux X severs, too.  Also, I have had
issues with VNC, though, with regular linux stuff that use features like
alpha channels and other "advanced" graphics functionality.  For instance,
I can't use the full Ubuntu Unity desktop with rdp or vnc.

Troy