On 12/9/2013 5:47 AM, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> BTW:  I'm currently working on a Wally, but this applies also to the GUS
> Simpson I'm starting on next:
>
> http://www.conceptforge.org/

Looks like they could use shims under the build plate corners. Get it
level and it should stay level.

The Wally design involves much calculation to correct for the vertical
arc the build platform moves in. A Sarrus linkage would be easier to
build and produces a perfectly straight line motion.

Another straight line system is the Peaucellierā€“Lipkin linkage.
Expanding a pair of them horizontally and also vertically offsetting
them in such a way that two linkages nest together would hold the
platform the same way as the pair of four bar linkages, but with no arc
movement to compensate for. I should model a double PL linkage in 3D...

http://kmoddl.library.cornell.edu/ <- Tons of mechanical linkages and
contrivances to explore. In the 19th century there were many
demonstration models made of these linkages, gear trains etc to
demonstrate to students how they worked.