On 1/10/2014 7:49 PM, Chris Morley wrote:
> Looking forward to this as I have been working on BBB pages for
> stepconf - I will wait for your changes

One of the reasons there's not much documentation for how things
currently work is the pin numbering is so messed up I didn't actually
want to document it.  I think I've come up with a reasonable solution
that will still work with HAL's limitations (only bit, integer, and
float data types, so no strings).

I'm working on a system that uses integer values where digit places
represent various parts of the pin ID.  The base number would be the pin
number on the connector (ie: 01-46), you'd add 800 or 900 for P8 or P9,
and you'd add 1000 (or 2000, or 3000) for special purpose use (ie:
direct PRU I/O, hardware PWM, or some other non-GPIO setup).

I can code up the HAL components to translate these values into the
numbers the hardware needs, then no one has to worry about them but the
programmer.  I'm pretty sure I can also handle this translation in the
startup shell script...if not, I can always switch from bash to python
or something.

Comments welcome, and I've updated my spreadsheet to include the
proposed numbering scheme:

https://github.com/cdsteinkuehler/beaglebone-black-pinmux/blob/hal_pru_generic/pinmux.ods

--
Charles Steinkuehler