On 1/10/2014 10:19 PM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 11 January 2014 02:59, Charles Steinkuehler <char...@steinkuehler.net>
> wrote:
>> I think I've come up with a reasonable solution
>> that will still work with HAL's limitations (only bit, integer, and
>> float data types, so no strings).
>
> Wacky idea, why not add strings to HAL? (if you do, then I suggest
> _not_ zero-terminated)
>
> it could be useful for all sorts of config type stuffs

I agree, strings would be useful for all sorts of things and Forth style
strings would work better than zero-terminated.  Ironically, the C folks
who bashed Forth strings back in the day, now have new "safe" library
calls using the same counted string mechanism to avoid stack buffer
overflow attacks.  :)

The main reason not to add strings is AFAIK HAL doesn't currently work
gracefully with items that are not basically atomic in nature.  This is
in the process of changing with the zeromq and queuing changes Michael's
working on, but it's a bit much for me to want to tackle just to release
an easier-to-understand pin numbering scheme.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net