On 1/31/2014 7:41 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 31 January 2014 05:30, Dave Cole <linuxcncro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/01/2-Quadrant-BLDC-speed-driver-ver.-48ZWSK50-B-804-1.pdf
> It _looks_ like a conventional velocity-controlled servo drive (though
> I actually think it will be working in current mode).
>
> So, with PID in HAL, it ought to work just fine for position control.

If that drive follows these design ideas then I don't think you can do
effective servo control with a 2 quadrant brushless DC drive.

This document has some explanation as to why.

Siemens always told us that 4 quadrant control was a requirement for
effective controlled positioning - ala servo control.

Here is an old TI app note.

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slua083/slua083.pdf

Dave