On Thursday 23 January 2014 09:13:54 Russell Brown did opine:

> Quoth Jeshua Lacock.....
>
> >I figured backlash was common to just about all reasonably priced
> >mills, and I was wondering what folks did with them to compensate with
> >CNC.
>
> FWIW, I "cnc'd" my "WMD30LValike reasonably priced mill" using the
> standard ACME screws thinking that backlash could be compensate for by
> software and/or that the backlash wouldn't annoy me.
>
> Neither was true (cutting forces push/pull the tool around the backlash
> envelope creating facets on the work) and I'm now in the middle of
> retro-fitting ballscrews....
>
> ...which I should have done in the first place; Gawd knows there's
> enough advice on that there Internet saying 'just fit ballscrews'.

Agreed and amen.  Unforch, the size of ball screws it takes to do that to
my HF micromill, are made out of pure unobtainium.  The smallest I can buy
on fleabay is 12mm and those nuts are 3x the size on the 8mm cartridge  nut
and screw that I got one of from Steve (PMDX) a couple years ago.  There is
not room for the 12mm screws I can get from asia in the micromill.

So, come warmer weather, I'll see if I can make a suitable container for
the thermally molded acetal nuts per that link I reposted yesterday.

Cheers, Gene

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.

Microsoft is not Y2K compliant: Windows 95, 98, ... and back again to 01
         law-abiding citizens.