On Sat, 22 Feb 2014, Mark Tucker wrote:

> Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 19:57:26 +0000
> From: Mark Tucker <m...@rmtucker.f2s.com>
> To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Crackling motors using Beaglebone
>
> Thanks
> That seems to have nailed it for me now i can very clearly understand
> why no pulse is emitted on the pulse line.
> Well that brings us back to the question of who is going to fix the problem?
> Is there anyone else working on this other than charles that can maybe
> work around this using the stepgen velocity mode and deadband etc in Hal?
> I am a little worried about using it on a daily basis just in case it is
> damaging the Gecko.
> I will maybe see if i can get an explanation on one of the Geckodrive
> haunts.

I think for hardware stepgens (that have much better short term timing than
the servo thread) using the stepgens in velocity mode and a PID loop like a
normal servo is a better solution because PID tuning allows tuning around
these problems: dithering when stopped, excessive velocity corrections caused
by servo thread jitter, servothread/hardware timebase differences.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)