Am 28.02.2014 um 14:19 schrieb John Alexander Stewart <ivatt...@gmail.com>:

> Michael;
>
> Ah - grbl-like input. Makes sense, and I can see how it would not work so
> well for LinuxCNC.
>
> The question, then, is how come Mach3 can have USB cabling, but LinuxCNC
> can't? (see the KX* mills from Arc Eurotrade in the UK; now with USB input)

I have no idea about that API uses over USB, but I'd be curious

it depends at what level commands go over USB; for instance, Yishin's USB/FPGA
product works on line segments afaict, and does spindle-sync on that board - I
would think that be pretty hard if USB jitter were in the path for
spindle-sync; in this case the stuff going over USB is lower granularity and
queued so USB jitter doesnt have significant impact

if you toggle raw stepper pins  over USB, that's probably pushing it too much

> Related: What commands are sent over the USB for these Mach3 boxes?

any pointers?

for Yishin's product, see http://en.araisrobo.com/ and
https://github.com/araisrobo/linuxcnc and

> Related,related: how can LinuxCNC get a larger slice of the 3D printer
> market, now that the "Printrboard" style of controls, and associated
> software is settling down for 3D'ers?

by helping Charles with contributions ;) http://blog.machinekit.io

- Michael