The scales should not be a problem. TTL encoder inputs are common on the
Mesa boards.
You will need to look up that BEI encoder to find the specs.
TTL or differential line driver are common.

I've been using the Mesa 7i43 with a 16 in 8 out I/O board ( 7i37TA) and
either the servo (7i33TA)  or the stepper interface board, but the 5i25
gives more bang for the $ if you have a PCI slot available.   The 7i37
is very flexible regarding sourcing or sinking inputs and outputs which
is really nice for retrofits.

Dave