On 2 April 2014 11:29, Peter Blodow <p.blo...@dreki.de> wrote:
> There is no problem in disengaging the half nuts,
> re-arranging things and closing again. Multiple pass cuts are, of
> course, always done by retracting the tool und reversing the drive.

The point is that you have to reverse the drive rather than disengage
the nut, wind back the carriage, re-engage the nut on the
thread-counter and do the next pass.
You can't disengage the nut during a mutli-pass threading operation
when using the non-native thread pitch.

(Actually, I believe that it is just about possible if you wind back
to a stop and do something else clever that I once read about).

I wonder if there is scope for a microprocessor thread dial, that
lights an LED when the opportune moment to engage the nut arrives?

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.