Am 02.04.2014 13:06, schrieb andy pugh:
> On 2 April 2014 11:29, Peter Blodow <p.blo...@dreki.de> wrote:
>> There is no problem in disengaging the half nuts,
>> re-arranging things and closing again. Multiple pass cuts are, of
>> course, always done by retracting the tool und reversing the drive.
> The point is that you have to reverse the drive rather than disengage
> the nut, wind back the carriage, re-engage the nut on the
> thread-counter and do the next pass.
No problem with that, because reversing the drive is done with one
lever, no cranking, no re-engaging, no dial or indicator necessary. All
thread cutting is done this way over here in the shops, I've never seen
any other. With my lathe, it is all done with one lever, so I can back
out, reverse with high speed, then again cut with low speed, all with a
turn of my right hand. The left hand is for setting the cutting depth.
> You can't disengage the nut during a mutli-pass threading operation
> when using the non-native thread pitch.
Yes I can, but why? Only in case of emergency, to replace the tool or
sharpen it etc. (Easy to do with large threads, small ones with a
magnifying glass). The nut stays closed until the thread is virtually
all done, multi-pass or multi-thread, regardless.

> (Actually, I believe that it is just about possible if you wind back
> to a stop and do something else clever that I once read about).
>
> I wonder if there is scope for a microprocessor thread dial, that
> lights an LED when the opportune moment to engage the nut arrives?
All this is not necessary and only a likely source of errors.
Peter