Hi everyone!

On 04/03/2014 05:15 PM, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
> On 4/2/14 15:56 , Michał Geszkiewicz wrote:
>> Hi Seb,
>
> Hi Michal,
>
> [... some flaming ...]
>
>> Additionally realtime ethernet is what could make linuxcnc project
>> competitive with industrial cnc controllers. and it's only possible with
>> ubc code.
>
> I understand, 7i80 support requires realtime ethernet, which requires
> rt-preempt or xenomai.
>
> I'm optimistic that the LinuxCNC developer community will continue to
> work on adding support for these realtime systems, and that when it's
> ready we will make another release that includes this support.

Why is rt-preempt or Xenomai required for realtime ethernet? I'm running
a machine with a homebrew board connected over a realtime UDP connection
for a few months now without any problems. LinuxCNC handles the user
frontend (AXIS with a custom panel), G-Code processing, and so on and
talks to the board through a HAL module. This module is based mainly on
the code from the RT-8p8c project (https://code.google.com/p/rt-8p8c/)
and therefore uses RTnet (http://www.rtnet.org/) for the underlying
stuff. I'm not using RTnet's TDMA facilities but standard UDP packets,
as the PC has a dedicated NIC with only a straight cable to the board
(which I'd recommend anyways, do not let a switch ruin the deterministic
latency).
The installation is just plain (X)Ubuntu 12.04 (10.04 does work as well,
but I needed some of the newer packages for other things) with the
LinuxCNC installation. No custom kernel or anything like this.

Anyways, I probably just talk of a different thing than you.

Regards,
Philipp