On 04/16/2014 08:06 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 April 2014 11:02:03 andy pugh did opine:
>
>> On 16 April 2014 02:37, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
>>> So I would have to build a rocket stove. or cobble up a charcoal
>>> forge.
>>
>> You may be under-estimating the power of a MAPP gas torch.
>
> I have one of them, but the valves are junk, its impossible to adjust for a
> proper flame and hold it for more than a second, then it coughs and blows
> itself out.  Genuine Burns-o-matic too.  Closed off, both bottles leak to
> zip in about 2 weeks.  Biggest rip off of a tool I ever bought.
>
> Is it worth wasting money on another?

I think pushing your home-made furnace up the list might be a good idea.
Then you know who to call when it doesn't work :). I did this:

http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Furnace/

Using the burner on its own with propane comes in handy too. Oops,
looking at the pictures, I now realize I don't show any propane bits. I
seem to recall needing to go to the propane shop to get a fitting to go
between the bottle and the regulator, and a hose between the regulator
and the torch. The rest is just common plumbing fittings and some drill
press work (although I used a lathe too). I'll try to get some more
propane hardware pictures posted to the site today.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/