On Wednesday 16 April 2014 11:02:03 andy pugh did opine:

> On 16 April 2014 02:37, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > So I would have to build a rocket stove. or cobble up a charcoal
> > forge.
>
> You may be under-estimating the power of a MAPP gas torch.

I have one of them, but the valves are junk, its impossible to adjust for a
proper flame and hold it for more than a second, then it coughs and blows
itself out.  Genuine Burns-o-matic too.  Closed off, both bottles leak to
zip in about 2 weeks.  Biggest rip off of a tool I ever bought.

Is it worth wasting money on another?

> Last night I managed to heat a section of a forging to red heat to
> straighten it. I needed to assemble my vermiculite tiles around it,
> but it worked.
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NTaNeiYfwJBPlYJHfwvJ4dMTjNZETYmyPJ
> y0liipFm0?feat=directlink
>
> I have no trouble using the setup of hand-held blowtorch and
> vermiculite tiles for hardening pull studs and similar items.
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEARTH-KIT-SOLDERING-PAD-BLOCK-/120784116786?pt=
> LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1f4b5c32
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-PRIORITY-SHIPPING-MAPP-PROPANE-TRIGGER-STA
> RT-PRO-TORCH-KIT-HIGH-OUTPUT-/300826351189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=it
> em460aa5d655

Cheers, Gene