On 16 April 2014 02:37, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:

> So I would have to build a rocket stove. or cobble up a charcoal forge.

You may be under-estimating the power of a MAPP gas torch.
Last night I managed to heat a section of a forging to red heat to
straighten it. I needed to assemble my vermiculite tiles around it,
but it worked.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NTaNeiYfwJBPlYJHfwvJ4dMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

I have no trouble using the setup of hand-held blowtorch and
vermiculite tiles for hardening pull studs and similar items.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEARTH-KIT-SOLDERING-PAD-BLOCK-/120784116786?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1f4b5c32
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-PRIORITY-SHIPPING-MAPP-PROPANE-TRIGGER-START-PRO-TORCH-KIT-HIGH-OUTPUT-/300826351189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460aa5d655

--
atp