On 04/20/2014 03:48 PM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 20 April 2014 17:28, Pete Matos <petefro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah I know the Haas has the diameter column as well as wear column for the
>> TLO.   I am quite surprised that LinuxCNC does not have these most simple
>> items let alone radius and shape comp.
>
> The CNC controller doesn't know enough about the material shape to be
> able to do anything sensible with (for example) ball-nose radius.
> Which isn't to say that the information couldn't live in the tool table.

I want to use an end mill corner radius with a conversational facing
routine. We are pulling the tool diameter from the table and having the
operator enter in the full depth diameter (tool dia - 2*corner radius).
I added to the tool comment field 'CR=x.xxx' and search for the CR= to
get the value (not exactly true but effectively the same). This way the
tool information I need comes from the table and can be reused.

> The current tool-table has a fixed size. It can currently handle 56
> tools. If you added nose radius for milling tools then it would hold
> 50 tools (at a guess).
>
> I did start on making the tool table a lot cleverer. It would be a
> database (which means that you can actually add any data fields you
> like for your own purposes, LinuxCNC will just ignore things it
> doesn't know how to use)

Redis maybe?

> I eventually ended up with a scheme where all the machines in a
> factory could share a tool database, and each machine would know what
> tools were available to it. I think that is the way to go. I kind-of
> stalled with waiting to see what happened to NML. There was a preview
> branch that I made, but there was no apparent interest in it.

I suspect there won't be any interest until it becomes the next greatest
thing.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/