> The relationship between follower radius and cam lift / profile is
> properly complicated.
> The master cams you have may well have been made assuming a specific
> follower radius. If the master follower, the grinding wheel and the
> engine-as-installed follower are the same radius then it is easy,
> otherwise there are two sets of corrections to apply.
>
> Machining a cam for a bucket follower with a lathe tool means
> correcting for infinite radius in the engine and zero radius in
> manufacturing.
>
> I looked at the equations in a book once. But I have never made a cam
> for a purpose (I just set up the lathe to prove that I could)

Thanks for clarifying the point Andy. Indeed it's a complicated job to get
the relation based only on the shape of the profile. Anyway "in theory" the
approach of the knife edge follower with radius almost 0 it's likely to
work for me. Making the simulation in Solidworks shows that it works. In
real life I expect a few hundredths of error in displacement.

The main thing is that I need the pure displacement form to reproduce it as
is, with the cutter radius compensation. Simulating it, I get good results
in theory. It's impossible for me or anyone who reproduces camshafts to
study the behaviour of all the followers for every camshaft model.
Specially the ones that have pivoting followers.

I hope in the next weeks to test this approach with a grinder that we have
working with steppers for the X axis. It's going to be slow because of the
reduction but it's a beggining to see if this works. If I have some
progress I will upload some videos!

--
*Leonardo Marsaglia*.