Gene,

Limit switches are normally wired up normally closed. The reason for
this is if you cut a wire the machine stops.

That sounds like a strange way to put limit switches... on my BP mill
for example there is a switch mounted to the X table and a bumpy thing
mounted near each end so when the axis gets too close to the end the
bumpy thing depresses the switch and stops all movement. I can take a
photo of it you like.

I suspect your over thinking this one.

JT