I cannot get lcnc to run even to test the product of my attempted use of 5
of the lut5 modules.

The lut5 module apparently, and despite the man pages advertisement to the
contrary, cannot be loadrt'd using the names= option.  I have tried
lut5.fwd, lut5-fwd and "lut5-fwd,lut5-rvs,lut5-profwd,lut5,prorvs,lut5-
protect" which is how it is at the instant.  Obvously that is a big enough
fail to get addf's attention.

But when hal gets ready to use it 235 lines on down in the file, it does
not exist.

If it doesn't exist, the addf statement assigning it to the servo-thread
should report/complain about it, but in what, close to 10 years now, I
have never seen a squawk from an addf statement.  But now I have because I
have dbl-quotes around all the names.

Starting LinuxCNC...
HAL: ERROR: function 'lut5-fwd' not found
my_LinuxCNC_machine2.hal:37: addf failed

That is I believe the first time I have seen the addf fail.

Is there another secret to using the names= option that I don't know
about?  Like a limited memory for the names array?

This is the latest 2.6.1.

Thanks for any clues, even if they look like a baseball bat. ;-)