On Friday 15 August 2014 13:19:48 Gene Heskett did opine
And Gene did reply:
> I cannot get lcnc to run even to test the product of my attempted use
> of 5 of the lut5 modules.
>
> The lut5 module apparently, and despite the man pages advertisement to
> the contrary, cannot be loadrt'd using the names= option.  I have
> tried lut5.fwd, lut5-fwd and
> "lut5-fwd,lut5-rvs,lut5-profwd,lut5,prorvs,lut5- protect" which is how
> it is at the instant.  Obvously that is a big enough fail to get
> addf's attention.
>
> But when hal gets ready to use it 235 lines on down in the file, it
> does not exist.
>
> If it doesn't exist, the addf statement assigning it to the
> servo-thread should report/complain about it, but in what, close to 10
> years now, I have never seen a squawk from an addf statement.  But now
> I have because I have dbl-quotes around all the names.
>
> Starting LinuxCNC...
> HAL: ERROR: function 'lut5-fwd' not found
> my_LinuxCNC_machine2.hal:37: addf failed
>
> That is I believe the first time I have seen the addf fail.
>
> Is there another secret to using the names= option that I don't know
> about?  Like a limited memory for the names array?
>
> This is the latest 2.6.1.
>
> Thanks for any clues, even if they look like a baseball bat. ;-)
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Some semblance of pin naming consistency among the various hal modules
would be VERY nice.  Most modules use a in0, in1 etc syntax, but lut5 has
to be different, using in-0, in-1 etc.  Very very frustrating when the
error causing string is right there on the screen and does NOT make any
bells ring other than sitting there telling me I am hopelessly stupid at
writing a hal file.