On 09/20/2014 05:12 AM, Mark Wendt wrote:
... snip
>> Can't help diagnose gedit, can only say that in nigh on a quarter
>> century's use of vi/vim, I've never lost (or doubled up on) a byte
>> through unreliability. There is though, some extra use of undo while
>> getting used to it, as with most unfamiliar software tools.
>>
>> I will admit to casting an eye on the status line to check the size of,
>> in particular, my "on-line brain" file before saving it, just to check
>> that I haven't fumble-fingered a slab of it away myself. The trouble
>> with backups is that they back up your mistakes, if you never check.
>>
>> Erik
>>

> Beat me to it.  I was just about to say "vi is yer frieeeend...  "  ;-)

I haven't been monitoring this thread, but the above reminds me of the
problems I have had with seemingly unsolicited edits in gEdit. I don't
normally use a wheel mouse, but the app I'm working on requires one. I
noticed editing problems showing up after starting to use a wheel mouse.
The wheel has a combination of both a scroll and select text button
function, which can easily cause a copy and paste without being aware of
it. Recently, I found a large section of an e-mail message pasted into a
Python file I'm working on. I also get strange sticky scrolling every
once in a while. I'd prefer to not use a wheel mouse.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/