On Friday 26 September 2014 05:58:37 andy pugh did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On 26 September 2014 04:28, Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com> wrote:
> > The 7I76 spindle analog out circuitry expects a regulated 5V to 12V
> > supply, your supply has about 10K Ohms of series resistance so is
> > not a suitable voltage source. You can use an isolated external
> > supply of 5 to 12V
>
> It might be important to stress "isolated" there. The KBIC controller
> float the pot at +100 volts or so.

I'll add even more emphasis to this warning.  We tend to forget that which
Just Works(TM)

> One solution is probably a small 12V - 12V isolated DC-DC converter
> connected to the normal 12V DC.

That is another avenue, and a actually a good suggestion as those are
generally less costly than a line transformer powered solution and
considerably smaller physically.

Since this circuit generally needs less than 20 milliamps, if no 12 volts
is available but 5 volts is, there are 5 to 12 converters available too.
But they MUST BE TRANSFORMER ISOLATED, the charge pump designs have way
too much leakage coupling due to the use of capacitance for the power
transfer method.  Leakage that can destroy circuitry if accidentally
grounded, and kill you if you are the grounding medium. :(

Good advice Andy, thanks.