On 10/30/2014 11:24 PM, Chris Morley wrote:
> Hi Carsten
>
> Thank you for the bug reports and the patch.
> Unfortunately i don't think the icon patch is quite right.
> Can you check if this one works?

Hi Chris, I tried your patch it and it works for me, both RIP and .deb.
Please push it to 2.7 (or feel free to wait for Carsten's sign-off if
you like).

I think Carsten just had the arguments to his diff in the wrong order,
and ended up with a reversed patch

> I will look into the kernel check error next.

I have some data for you on that.  I see that pncconf uses the "hal"
python module to learn about the system it's running on.  This is a
sensible thing to do.

With linuxcnc compiled with "--with-realtime=$RTAI" (where "RTAI" is
some appropriate RTAI path), running on an RTAI kernel, you get this:
     hal.is_kernelspace=1
     hal.is_rt=1
     hal.is_sim=0
     hal.is_userspace=0
     hal.kernel_version matches the uname

With linuxcnc compiled with "--with-realtime=uspace", running on an
rt-preempt kernel:
     hal.is_kernelspace=0
     hal.is_rt=1
     hal.is_sim=0
     hal.is_userspace=1
     hal.kernel_version is not set

With linuxcnc compiled with "--with-realtime=uspace", running on a
non-rt-preempt kernel:
     hal.is_kernelspace=0
     hal.is_rt=0
     hal.is_sim=1
     hal.is_userspace=1
     hal.kernel_version is not set

So in other words, in all three of the expected situations, the hal
module has good, accurate data.  I did not test the unexpected
situations: --with-realtime=rtai on a non-rtai kernel and
--with-realtime=uspace on an rtai kernel.

Also, I tested Carsten's pncconf python module install patch[0][1] and
it makes pncconf from the debian packages work better (still needs
something like your icon path patch).  And it does not break RIP
builds.  I just pushed that patch to 2.7.

0: https://sourceforge.net/p/emc/bugs/400/
1: http://psha.org.ru/irc/%23emc-devel/2014-10-30.html#16:29:23

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky