I am trying to setup an Automation Direct GS2 VFD w/ the gs2_vfd
component.  I tried to get it working from halcmd and I get an error:
halcmd: loadusr -Wn vfd gs2_vfd -r 9600 -p none -s 2 -n vfd
failed to set register P0x0101 to 0x0064 (100): Connection timed out
<stdin>:6: gs2_vfd exited without becoming ready

I did try issuing the command w/ the -g option, but that didn't seem to work
halcmd: loadusr -Wn vfd gs2_vfd -g -r 9600 -p none -s 2 -n vfd
gs2_vfd: invalid option -- 'g'
Usage:  gs2_vfd [options]

Here I set the serial port directly:
halcmd: loadusr -Wn vfd gs2_vfd -r 9600 -p none -s 2 -n vfdvfd:
device='/dev/ttyS0', baud=9600, parity='N', bits=8, stopbits=2, address=1
failed to set register P0x0101 to 0x0064 (100): Connection timed out
<stdin>:6: gs2_vfd exited without becoming ready

Also, I'm using a D525MW w/ the latest 2.6.0 live CD wheezy install.  I had
to turn on the serial port and ran setserial to check the com port(s):
teapot@SuperMax:~/Linuxcnc$ setserial -g /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
teapot@SuperMax:~/Linuxcnc$ setserial -g /dev/ttyS1
/dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3

I didn't go through stepconf of pncconf (I have a mesa 5i25+7i77), but I
did copy over a hal.ini file for a parport setup and ran that separately.

GS2 SETUP
I have SW2 and SW3 set to RS232.
I checked my cable and I think I have it setup correctly.  Incase I have RX
and TX mixed up, I have a handy null modem cable swapping pins 2 and 3 and
straight through on 5, tried that, but it did not work either.  I found a
pinout for the GS-232CBL here:
http://forum.automationdirect.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=202&d=1249906256
It matches my cable.

Following parameters were set:
P3.00 03  Operation determined by RS232, Keypad STOP enabled.
P4.00 05, frequency set by RS232
P9.00 01, comm address 1.
P9.01 01, 9600 baud
P9.02 03, Modbus RTU, 8 data bits, no parity, 2 stop bits.

Questions:
1.  I changed the parameters and rebooted, do I manually have to set the
drive in RUN mode?  The STOP button is illuminated RED.   I pressed the
Green run button, but it doesn't do anything.  I don't think this is a
problem, not sure...
2.  Is there an issue running this component from Halcmd.  I would think it
would work.  I thought I could get it going in Halcmd, then set parameters
like the Hal tutorial and make something happen.

I downloaded Automation Direct's GSOFT and will try that from a windoze
(have to say that :-)) and see if I can talk to the drive and upload my
parameter settings.

Thanks,
Mark