On 11/30/2014 07:02 PM, Mark Johnsen wrote:
> I am trying to setup an Automation Direct GS2 VFD w/ the gs2_vfd
> component.  I tried to get it working from halcmd and I get an error:

Hi Mark, nice to hear from you!

I happen to have a GS2 from Automation Direct running the spindle on my
Bridgeport, so i may be able to help with this.

> halcmd: loadusr -Wn vfd gs2_vfd -r 9600 -p none -s 2 -n vfd
> failed to set register P0x0101 to 0x0064 (100): Connection timed out
> <stdin>:6: gs2_vfd exited without becoming ready
>
> I did try issuing the command w/ the -g option, but that didn't seem to work
> halcmd: loadusr -Wn vfd gs2_vfd -g -r 9600 -p none -s 2 -n vfd
> gs2_vfd: invalid option -- 'g'
> Usage:  gs2_vfd [options]

Whoops, that sure sounds like a little bug in the driver, hold on a
sec...  Ah, i see it, fix pushed.  Thanks for the bug report.

But that bug is not what's responsible for all the "Connection timed
out" problems that are the real issue here.

> Here I set the serial port directly:
> halcmd: loadusr -Wn vfd gs2_vfd -r 9600 -p none -s 2 -n vfdvfd:
> device='/dev/ttyS0', baud=9600, parity='N', bits=8, stopbits=2, address=1
> failed to set register P0x0101 to 0x0064 (100): Connection timed out
> <stdin>:6: gs2_vfd exited without becoming ready

If these serial parameters truly match what the GS2 is configured for,
then this command line looks right and it looks like you have a wiring
problem.

....  Aaaand i see you fixed it.  Great!  Glad you got it working!

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky