On Monday, January 05, 2015 12:15:07 PM Pete Matos did opine
And Gene did reply:
> that is exactly right. I have a .040 radius cutter just like that here
> I needed for a recent project and it is definitely not designed for
> plunging. if you ramped in at a very shallow angle I am sure it might
> would work in wood but in metal you are looking at a crash. This one
> is double sided and makes a great radius in use.  Also keep in mind
> that as I have found on MOST of these style cutters the actual
> profile of the bit is not the radius, actually the radius is there
> but there is a little bit of extra length on the  bottom and side/top
> of the cutter edge to smooth the transition in case you do not get it
> dead nuts perfect presumably.  So your actual depth of cut needs to
> be compensated for this distance. Most are also marked with the
> actual ground non cutting middle diameter for your offsets.  if you
> stick them down with double sided carpet tape and then cut them apart
> and follow up with the roundover it would be easy or if nothing else
> leave a web in between below the level of the bottom of the roundover
> cutter and do your roundover profiling first and then part them off
> however you choose. That carpet tape is pretty damn sticky and I have
> cut a lot of aluminum parts that were not extremely critical
> dimensionally easily with it and then you can peel the parts off it
> after the cutting is completed. Just some random thoughts. Peace
>
> Pete

I hadn't even considered that for parts this small as I have tried it
before and its easier pushed around that I thought.  Bigger stuffs, 2x2"
or more would likely work ok, but these will only be 1/2" square when cut
out, so I think I'll use the same code that carves the mahogany to make a
holding jig in micarta or maybe even alu as I have some 1/2" thick 7078t6
scraps in the bottom drawer.

As for the ploughing, I had it figured to be at depth of cut as I
approached the edge so I would not be plunging   But that mill is almost
$50 at MSC, double ended solid carbide.  That, and delivery time
discourages me.

Thanks Pete.

[...]