On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:01:13 AM Dean Posekany wrote:
> On 2/10/2015 3:00 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > The diode checker of the modern meter reads the voltage drop, fwd
> > direction on this type of diode s/b under .15 volts, while the
> > reverse of the probes should show a much higher voltage, maybe even
> > off-scale for reverse. Right where they sit in circuit. A reading in
> > both directions that is similar and probably under .1 volts is a
> > shorted one.
>
> I checked the three diodes on the bottom near output port and they all
> read generally the same: forward bias ~0.48V and reverse bias ~1.47V.
> I checked a few of the topside diodes of the same value and got:
> forward bias ~0.48V and reverse bias .OL.  It appears that the bottom
> diodes are bad.
>
> Is there any way to check the FET's.

I neglected to answer this question.  My bad.

Generally speaking, if they have a low reading from source leg to drian
leg, at either polarity of the meter leads they are probably shot.  If a
OL is seen, determine which is source and clip the negative button of a
good 9 volt battery to it, then apply the + terminal to the gate, and
unless the circuit has a low enough ohmage to kill the battery, the FET
should turn on and give a very low reading from source to drain.  If that
fails, I'd do the replacement.

That is somewhat simplicated, but is a general rule.