On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:01:13 AM Dean Posekany wrote:
> On 2/10/2015 3:00 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > The diode checker of the modern meter reads the voltage drop, fwd
> > direction on this type of diode s/b under .15 volts, while the
> > reverse of the probes should show a much higher voltage, maybe even
> > off-scale for reverse. Right where they sit in circuit. A reading in
> > both directions that is similar and probably under .1 volts is a
> > shorted one.
>
> I checked the three diodes on the bottom near output port and they all
> read generally the same: forward bias ~0.48V and reverse bias ~1.47V.
> I checked a few of the topside diodes of the same value and got:
> forward bias ~0.48V and reverse bias .OL.  It appears that the bottom
> diodes are bad.
>
> Is there any way to check the FET's.  These are going to be a PIA to do
> a wholesale replacement due to the way they're mounted to the heatsink.
> It looks easy, but with the spring clamps and the age on the heatsink
> compound, they're locked in there pretty well.

That I would approach from a "first remove the heatsink" angle. The spring
clips s/b removeable, then once its suitably loose, a razor blade at a low
enough angle so as not to dig into the heat sink can probably pop the
individual FET's off the sink.  Once the sink is out of the way, and the
needed soldering tools are on hand, then the rest of it is applying the
short to all the legs and sucking the solder out of the holes with a
vacuum sucker. Be aware that those big  blue sucker tools with the white
nylon tips are NOT anti-satic.  I have both styles but the larger blue
original, while doing a better job than the smaller orange versions, also
have enough recoil that they can damage the hot pcb.  The smaller one is
quite a bit gentler in that regard.

Then clean the heat sink off with whatever solvent seems to work, and
apply a small amount of something like Artic Silver to the FET's cooling
faces, doesn't take a lot (a bookmatch head sized drop is a great plenty)
as the spring clips will extrude it out to fill the voids when they are
re-installed.  Once the new ones are soldered in, then you can remove the
wire shorting its legs.  Easier done before puttig the heat sink back on.