Thanks to everybody who replied so far for the rays of light! Maybe I
should admit that I have difficulty to imagine the algorithm to translate
from 3 linear axis of a delta printer to the 'euclidean' 3d space that the
model will be printed in, therefore I also don't really begin to guess what
kind of resolution is required on the linear axis.
I imagine that gear backlash can be measured and if its not captured by an
encoder on the geared down axis, it should at least in software be
considered for every change of direction. Is there such an option? I may on
my first printer also succumb the temptation to go with steppers maybe
overdoing torque such as with a fat NEMA34 instead of 17 or 23...

My first 3D Delta shall have a max. build height of  whatever results from
1 meter or 1.5m shafts, subtracting linear bearing height and linear shaft
mounts, and the min. length required to be able to cause a flat surface on
the build area. I gather that pole length and build diameter are somehow
related probably in a formula that considers the max. deflection angle and
the loss of precision that might result?

One reply mentions the Ramps1.4 system; I wonder is the translation done
between linear delta motion control and Euclidean G-code, or is non
Euclidean G-Code used?

Thanks again for all the participation, and happy weekend!
cheers

Tobias!

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 2:44 PM, Viesturs Lācis <viesturs.la...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > I am suggesting small geared brushless motors
>
> Gearing will introduce backlash. Linear delta machine may have
> end-effector vs actuator travel ratio up to 2:1, depending on rod
> length vs delta radius proportion, so any backlash in actuator means
> even larger backlash on end-effector. Take all 3 actuators, add
> together their backlash and you might have difficulties to achieve
> desired positioning accuracy for hotend.
> I would be tempted to go the traditional way of mounting belt pulley
> right on motor shaft - tuning feedback loop might be challenging, but
> once that is done, the machine can be very very fast...
>
> Viesturs

Tobias Gogolin
Tel. D1 (49) 0151 5187 5210
Tel. D2 (49) 0152 0839 5060
skype: moontogo
messenger: usert...@hotmail.com

You develop Sustainable Ranch Technology at
an Open Source Electric Motor/Alternator at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Performance_Axial_Flux