On 18 February 2015 at 01:52, Pete Matos <petefro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the least they
> could do is to make it available to the community as a whole in some shape
> or form.

There is a secondary issue here that should be considered.
If Tormach or any other end-user want to make a change to LinuxCNC
then that change only has to satisfy their requirements, and they can
use it.

This is a _long_ way from the code finding its way into the LinuxCNC
main releases. Their code is working on known hardware and known
configs. To be acceptable to the project "gatekeepers" the code has to
work on all possible hardware platforms past, present and future. And
to cover all conceivable use-cases. And various aesthetic
considerations.

Writing the code to work on your own machine is the easy part. Getting
it accepted into LinuxCNC is a lot of work that I can understand
Tormach not wanting to be bothered with. They tried (and failed) to
get a lathe-mode tool-change patch accepted for instance.

I have quite a few customisations on my machines that I simply can't
be bothered to attempt to push.

So, even if Tormach do make their code available, there is no
guarantee that the features would find their way into LinuxCNC. (And
we don't even know at the moment if PathPilot is based on Machinekit
or LinuxCNC)

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.