On Friday 27 March 2015 23:28:12 Gregg Eshelman wrote:
> I've an idea for a project involving a pair of 9x20 9-speed
> quickchange gearboxes mounted side by side, with a filler between and
> three gears to couple the output of one to the input of the second.
>
> I'll have the gearbox off my $50 9x20 but need another.
>
> 9 speeds on one box feeding a second box with 9 speeds... I wonder if
> any combinations would be duplicates?

I believe that any combo would be the same as mirroring the combo, eg 3rd
gear on box 1 and 5th gear on box 2, would be identical to 5th gear on
box 1 and 3rd gear on box2.  So while 1st gear in both boxes would be a
set stakes and call a surveyer slow, there would not be the 81
variations with no dups.

To me, with the capability in LCNC to lock axis motions together, it made
more sense to put a bigger HP treadmill motor on mine, with a fixed 3/1
reduction before it got to the backgear.  With a fwd only toroid mod to
one of Jons servo amps, and an old 1500 WA phase linear audio amp power
transformer for a motor psu, it could turn the spindle in a much bigger
lathe than my toy 7x.  I can still get to 1500 rpms, not fast enough for
real CSS at small diameters, but usable for above 0.75" OD stuff.