On 3/28/2015 8:46 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> I need to be finding some good ACME rod for the 9x20 CNC, motors etc.

Scratch the ACME. Today I snagged a homebuilt XY table to cannibalize
for parts.

http://boise.craigslist.org/art/4894831991.html

Across the gantry it has a 0.37-ish rolled ballscrew with a nut threaded
on one end, with a max OD of .247" I have the saddle channel plowed out
to nearly that, can easily go the extra few thou to have it just
clearing. Will run a big ballnose down the center if it needs to be
lower down. Of course that screw will need shortened a bunch. I plan to
give it as much cross slide travel as I can.

The other axis is a "vintage" Star ballscrew linear actuator made in
1997, inside a 2x2" aluminum extrusion with a block on one side. I'll
mount that to the side of the bed with the block down (keep the chips
out of the open side) and make a dead simple bracket to mount from the
side of the block to the original apron mounting holes on the saddle.

And it has motors, bleeping expensive Superior Electric Slo-Syn 200 step
steppers. A NEMA 34 connected to the Star actuator direct drive with a
Lovejoy and a NEMA 23 with a belt drive to the other axis. The builder
for some reason put the large pulley on the motor.

The table is HEAVY, made of nicely put together wood. It shall become
the new seat upon which my PLM2000 mill will set, after removal of
everything screwed down to its top. It looks deceptively weedy in the
photos but it's around 4 feet tall. Took three people to get it into the
truck and we had to tilt it up on one edge then down onto the tailgate
to lift and slide it in.

Cost? $300 cash money. :)

Some of the other parts may migrate their way into a 3D printer I'm
wanting to build. Need to do something with the 30 feet of 40x40mm
aluminum t-slot extrusion and various corner plates and angle brackets
I've been given.

---