On Sunday 19 April 2015 10:22:40 Karlsson & Wang wrote:
> Motor torque depends on current. Then increasing acceleration torque
> will also increase but how much depends on the inertia, there
> rotational inertia and the mass moved. It is also possible there are
> some viscous load which depend on speed of motion or rotational load.
> I assume current will increase but how much I have no idea.
>
> Electric motor generate a back EMF which depend on rotational speed so
> there is less voltage left to increase current/torque at high speed
> and more available voltage left to decrease speed.
>
> Here
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushed_DC_electric_motor#Torque_and_spee
>d_of_a_DC_motor the voltage balance and torque equations a little bit
> more than half way down in the document is incredibly good knowledge
> if working with servo motors. It is also useful to think about this
> equations then working with other types of electric motors. The
> equations are actually so important i think it would be a good idea to
> include them in the Linuxcnc manual maybe in the integrator chapter
> and I could provide some help if I have enough time.

We are slightly at odds Nicklas. You are talking servo's correctly, and I
am talking steppers. These are different critters.

The servo's you refer to will allow a small error and catch up when they
can, which may or may not wreck your part depending of the tolerances.
Steppers OTOH, will stall under the same conditions, wrecking the part
and likely breaking the tool too when the direction reverses at the end
of that move  So one has to be quite considerably more cautious, even
paranoid, about how much you ask of them in the speed ranges where the
torque to stay precisely on the path may be iffy, particularly in a
complex part that may be quite a few loops thru the code to do the depth
the job needs.

One of those consideration is available spindle horsepower, as in lack
thereof, its a 200 watt motor!  I intend to switch it out at some point,
putting the 400 watter I took out of the lathe in its place, making it a
2 speed range belt drive when I do, all of which I will have to design &
make.  It, for some jobs, needs both 5x the rpms to get above any
framing resonances and a higher feed rate just to enhance the tool life
by cutting deeper into cooling wood when I am carving wood.  The wood,
if the tool is sharp, doesn't burn, but the bit can turn straw colored
occassionaly.

But thats off topic and I haven't really started on a design for that
yet.

The higher voltage psu and a 5i25 card I just ordered are this springs
project.  The motor is a different critter.