On Sunday 19 April 2015 22:01:29 Tom Easterday wrote:
> There are quite a few early attributes of the phrase.  Like all things
> these days it gets attributed to someone on the Internet and sticks
> regardless of the truth.   I guess we need to find the actual writings
> to verify.  I have read (nearly) everything Hemingway has written and
> I don’t recall it, though it has been many years since I read it and I
> could certainly be mistaken.  Given that it (may?) appear to have been
> written ~80 years before Hemingway perhaps he did use it.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain't_no_such_thing_as_a_free_lunch
> http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/tanstaafl.html

Strangely, neither of those sites mention Hemingway. I was going by an
editorial in one of the scifi rags back in the 70's where RAH was said
to have disclaimed the phrase, crediting Hemingway as the person he
borrowed it from. I can't lay my hand on the good book and say it, but I
believe it was in one of Stanley Schmidt's editorials in Analog.  When
Stanley took over after Hugo, I had been used to Hogo's style of
editing, but it only took 3 or 4 of Stanley's editorials to convince me
I was reading the output of the smartest man then alive.

For instance, when we killed those 3 astronauts in Houston, he went both
ballistic and into teaching mode, stateing that the fire that did them
in would have been nothing more than a tripped breaker in space, and
went on to  explain that the short would have started a fire, but that
because in a zero gravity situation, there would not have been any
gravity driven convection currents to bring fresh oxygen to the fire, so
it would have silently smothered itself before it was as big as a
marble, in its own combustion products.

The real stupidity, and I have to agree, was that in space, the cabin
pressure is something around 5 psi of fairly pure oxygen. Enough to
support the men breathing it with faceplates open.

But somebody wanted a fscking pressure test at the same effective
overpressure of about 5 psi, above normal atmospheric, or damned near 20
psi in the capsule.  That, combined with gravity driven convection
currents bringing fresh pure oxygen to the fire, literally turned the
inside of the capsule into an estimated 6000F inferno in 2 or 3 seconds.
Since the hatch opens inward, and could not be opened against the inside
pressure, rising rapidly because of the fire, it was said, and I looked
at the capsule fairly closely, there were no smudges on the hatch
handles that I could see from the limited angles the public was allowed
to look, they were dead before they could reach the handles. I don't
recall whether I saw it during a visit to the Cape, or when it was on
display at the Smithsonian.  One of those 2 places.  Heck, I think the
History Channel even had some footage of it 30 years later, but like the
press, made no attempt to explain why it burnt so fast.

But the press, then as now, was totally in the CYA mode, so that
explanation never got an ounce of ink in the press of the day.  And I
don't trust the press to even tell me the day of the week since.  There
were a goodly number of good sensible people playing follow the leader
that day, and IMO they should have stood in court on charges of at least
manslaughter.  The public would have settled for nothing less.  Heads in
baskets would have been demanded.  Its all ancient history now, but it
still makes me sad.  It was distilled, pure stupidity that killed those
good men.

I'll get me coat now.